Thursday, September 1, 2011

ejusdem generis

I am reading this wonderful letter by Mike Godwin (PDF), which he wrote when he served as top lawyer for the Wikimedia Foundation, addressed to the FBI over Wikipedia's use of their seal.

I am mostly enjoying the style, but I am also looking up the terms, and I came across this, ejusdem generis, which is explained here and is used to interpret loosely written statutes. Well, amazingly enough this is the Talmud rule of prat-uklal (a specific example followed by a general category), and it is explained here!

Back to the letter, which is wonderful is style!

2 comments:

Mark Kerzner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Kerzner said...

However, my excitement is tempered now that I know that for this letter Michael got fired.