Q. Advice on dealing with passwords for Excel (and other) files?
- Office Password Recovery Pro;
- Passware Kit Enterprise;
- (a) using known passwords that are used elsewhere, (b) dictionary attack derived from the PC of the user,(c) tools such as Passware for brute-force and hybrid attacks (d) rainbow tables are available for Windows, not sure for Excel;
- In early versions of Office the password was actually retrievable directly from the file if you knew where to look in a hex dump of the file, see more here;
- Ask the client up front what they would like to do with password protected files.
- dtSearch provides a list of resources;
- Paraben's Network E-mail Examiner (NEMX);
- Beware of metadata loss;
- See prior discussion here.